Title: Hybrid MAC Protocol for UAV-Assisted Data Gathering in a Wireless Sensor Network
Journal: Internet of Things: Engineering Cyber Physical Human Systems
Dear Professor Kim,
Thank you for submitting your manuscript to Internet of Things: Engineering Cyber Physical Human Systems. I have completed the review of your manuscript and a summary is appended below. The reviewers recommend reconsideration of your paper following major revision. I invite you to resubmit your manuscript after addressing all reviewer comments.
When resubmitting your manuscript, please carefully consider all issues mentioned in the reviewers' comments, outline every change made point by point, and provide suitable rebuttals for any comments not addressed.
After you approve your submission preview you will receive a notification that the submission is complete. To track the status of your paper throughout the editorial process, log in to Evise¢ç at: http://www.evise.com/evise/faces/pages/navigation/NavController.jspx?JRNL_ACR=IOT.
I look forward to receiving your revised manuscript as soon as possible.
Internet of Things: Engineering Cyber Physical Human Systems
Comments from the editors and reviewers:
This manuscript proposes a hybrid medium access control MAC protocol for enhancing network throughput and packet delivery ratio. The research is interesting to read. However, some improvements regarding to, but not limited to the following comments need to be done:
1. The paper abstract should be better discussed; the authors should address their major contributions and reflect their research content.
2. Adding a list of abbreviations and a list of symbols will help readers understand the paper. Please consider.
3. The "Scientific" contribution of this study to the community may also be discussed. Please elaborate a bit more in Section 2. Authors may discuss their contribution in comparison with related research and list them accordingly in section 2 (Line90 Overview of UAV Networks) instead of listing in the introduction.
5. Figure 8 – 12 quality should be enhanced. Please make sure that all figures are in a good readable quality when printed. In addition, Figure 9 – 11 legends need corrections.
6. Authors may also proofread the manuscript.
- Reviewer 2
- The paper proposes a hybrid MAC protocol for gathering data in a UAV-based WSN.
The authors are highly recommended to consider the following comments in order to improve the quality of the manuscript.
1. The authors didn¡¯t use enough recent and relevant references. It is recommended to add and discuss the following studies in the related work section:
¡°5G/IoT-Enabled UAVs for Multimedia Delivery in Industry-oriented Applications¡±, Springer¡¯s Multimedia Tools and Applications Journal, 2018. DOI. 10.1007/s11042-018-6288-7
"Dominating Set Algorithms for Wireless Sensor Networks Survivability¡± IEEE Access Journal, vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 17527 – 17532, 2018.
"A Novel Approach for Drones positioning in Mission Critical Applications", Wiley Transactions on Emerging Telecommunications Technologies, 2019. DOI. 10.1002/ett.3603
¡°Small Cells in the Forthcoming 5G/IoT: Traffic Modelling and Deployment Overview¡±, IEEE Communications Surveys and Tutorials, vol. 21, no. 1, pp. 28-65, 2019.
2. It is recommended to provide a table at the end of section 2 to summarize the current literature and compare them with your study.
3. Contribution of the study is not clear. The items provided at the end section 1 do not seem to be the contributions of this study. They are discussing how the proposed model works.
4. Figure 1 is not currently in the correct position in the manuscript. Move the figure to where you discuss it.
5. What is the purpose of Section 6.4?
6. There are some abbreviated terms used in the manuscript without defining them first. For example: DIFS, TDMA, or RTC/CTS in section 6.5 and many more ...
7. It is recommended to provide a table with all the abbreviated terms along with their definitions in order to assist readers to check the terms immediately when required.
8. Authors are recommended to have a careful and strong proofread as there are a few sentences difficult to understand. One example is in Section 1:
"Therefore, an appropriate MAC protocol is required for gathering data in UAV-WSN is required"